Friday, June 17, 2011

Back to Olancho

It was a grueling 14 hour bus ride from Guatemala City to San Salvador to Tegucigalpa.  I hit three Central American capitals in one day.  Tomorrow will be a 4 hour 8 a.m. bus to Juticalpa.  Then, another bus to San Francisco de la Paz.  I am the bus King.

I saw the same girl I met in Olancho that is from Ohio and went to U of A and is now in the Peace Corps like 30 minutes from where I am--or at least she was.  The Peace Corps decided to pull all of their volunteers out of her region because of increasing drug violence.  We heard about the activity in the Catacamas area but didn't think much of it.  Apparently one of the PCV's got help up at gunpoint and that was enough for them to pull the whole program in the area.  I was riding in a cab to my hotel tonight and the driver asked me where I was going.  I told him I live in San Francisco de la Paz Olancho.  He said, "Wow, that town has some history."
"History? What kind of History."
"Oh just the never ending violence between the two main families there."
Even in the capital, my town is famous of the blood feuds.  Home sweet home.

I can't wait to get back to teaching, especially after I found out that one of my favorite students Julia was crying because she thought I left for good!  I love the 4th grade...

My last post about Pasac on Roots and Wings.  Check it out here.
http://rootsandwingsintl.org/blog/2011/06/part-four-back-to-the-city/

No comments:

Post a Comment